Article at a Glance
- Cooking is the last thing on my mind when I’m sick, soups can be purchased premade and taste just as delicious as homemade.
- Comfort foods provide more than just nutrition, they make you feel better mentally as well.
- This article offers many comfort food ideas that are not complicated to prepare and hit the spot when you are feeling under the weather.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
When you’re feeling sick, the last thing you want to do is cook. But that doesn’t mean you have to go without a comforting meal. There are many easy-to-make comfort foods and drinks to eat and drink while sick. Also, there are comfort foods that you can purchase pre-made that taste home-cooked.
Comfort Foods To Eat When Sick - With Recipes
There are plenty of comfort foods you can eat when sick that don’t require much effort. From hot soup to mac and cheese, these dishes will help make you feel better.
We’ve all been there—staring into the fridge, feeling crummy, and wondering what in the world we can muster up the energy to eat. When you’re under the weather, all you really want is something comforting to make you feel better. If you’re feeling lost on what to eat when sick, look no further. We’ve compiled a list of delicious and easy-to-make comfort foods that will help you get through your sick day.
The Best Hot Soup Recipes For When You're Feeling Ill
There’s a reason that hot soup has always been a go-to food to eat while sick. A piping hot bowl of soup can quickly soothe a sore throat as well as warm up an aching cold body from the inside out. Plus, hot soup is pretty easy to make.
It’s easy to make and can be tailored to your specific taste. I like to add tabasco and cayenne to mine. Plus, the steam from the soup can help clear your sinuses!
- Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup: This classic tasting vegan version of chicken noodle soup is the perfect comfort food for a cold winter day. It’s super simple to make and only takes about 45 minutes from start to finish. Plus, there’s nothing quite like homemade vegan chicken noodle soup—it tastes so much like the real thing and uses Tofurky Chik’n!
- Vegan White Bean Chili: Looking for something a little different? This white bean chili is a delicious twist on traditional chili that’s packed with flavor. It’s made with white beans, green chilies, and plenty of potatoes and corn. It can be on the table in about an hour.
- Mushroom Wild Rice Soup: This comforting soup is made in the slow cooker, so it’s practically effortless to prepare. It’s hearty and filling, but still light enough that you won’t feel too full after eating it. And it reheats beautifully, so it’s great for leftovers too.
- Vegetarian Thai Coconut Soup: This flavorful Thai-inspired soup is one of our all-time favorites. It’s made with coconut milk, spices like ginger, and plenty of healthy veggies and you can add curry paste to it—plus, it only takes 25-30 minutes to make!
Being sick is no fun. The best thing you can do when you’re feeling under the weather is to rest and give your body the nourishment it needs to fight off whatever bug you’ve caught. While hot soup will always have a place in our hearts as a classic sick-day meal, sometimes you need something a little more comforting, like homemade Mac and Cheese.
5 Easy And Delicious Mac and Cheese Recipes For When You're Under The Weather
There’s nothing quite like a warm bowl of mac and cheese when you’re feeling under the weather. The cheesy goodness is comforting and satisfying, and it’s usually pretty easy to make.
Nutritionists often recommend eating complex carbohydrates when you’re sick because they help to boost your energy levels and improve your mood.
If you’re looking for some delicious inspiration, check out these five recipes. They’re all easy to make and absolutely delicious.
- One-Pot Vegan Mac and Cheese: This recipe is perfect when you’re short on time and energy. It comes together in one pot and only takes about 10 minutes from start to finish. Plus, it doesn’t require any blending or cashew nuts.
- Slow Cooker Vegan Mac and Cheese: This is the perfect recipe for when you want mac and cheese but don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Just throw everything in the slow cooker and let it do its thing. Dinner will be ready before you know it using this recipe!
- Stovetop Vegan Mac and Cheese: If you’re looking for that classic mac and cheese taste, this stovetop recipe is for you. It’s rich, creamy, and oh-so cheesy tasting. Plus, it’s pretty much foolproof.
- Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese: This recipe is perfect when you’re craving something a little bit different. For me, baked mac and cheese is comfort! This baked macaroni is topped with a crunchy breadcrumb topping that takes it over the top. Delicious!
- Instant Pot Vegan Mac and Cheese: If you need to make it easier and faster, use an Instant Pot! This Instant Pot mac and cheese comes together in just minutes, thanks to the magic of pressure cooking. Plus, it’s super creamy and cheesy.
More Comforting Foods to Eat When You're Sick
Don’t want to deal with making soup from scratch? No problem!
Sometimes when you’re sick you just don’t want to cook something from scratch, but still want something that tastes homemade. Our ‘Get Well Soup Box’ contains the perfect ready-to-go comfort foods for anyone who is feeling under the weather.
The gift box comes with a variety of different soups, all of which include key ingredients that are known to help fight off sickness and boost the immune system.
Each of the soups in the Get Well Soup Gift Box can be enjoyed on its own or can be used as ingredients in other recipes.
The gift box includes:
The gift box is sure to provide some much-needed comfort and will help you feel better so that you can fight off sickness. Each of these soups is packed with flavor and nutrients that will help you feel better fast.
When you’re under the weather, the last thing you want is to cook a complicated meal. You just want something comforting that will make you feel better. Here are three more of our favorite super easy comfort foods and drinks to eat when we’re not feeling our best.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich: This classic comfort food is the perfect blend of gooey and crispy. Plus, it’s easy to make. Just put some cheese and bread in a pan, and you’re good to go!
- Oatmeal: This hearty breakfast food is not only filling but it’s also packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Make sure to top your oatmeal with some fruit or honey for an extra boost of sweetness. Oatmeal is also easy on your stomach if you happen to feel nauseous.
- Hot Tea: There’s nothing like a cup of hot tea to soothe your throat and calm your nerves. Tea is full of antioxidants that can help fight infections and illnesses. Whether you prefer black tea, green tea, or herbal tea, there’s a type of tea out there that’s perfect for you. I personally love a mug of hot Chai tea! Add a little honey or lemon for extra flavor and relief.
- Toast: Toast is a simple but effective food to eat when you’re sick. The bread is easy to digest, and the toast itself will absorb any stomach acids that might be causing nausea or heartburn. Additionally, toast is a good source of complex carbohydrates, which will give you energy and help your body fight off infection.
If you’re feeling under the weather, these four comfort foods and drinks will help you feel better in no time! Grilled cheese sandwiches are gooey and crispy, oatmeal is filling and nutritious, hot tea is soothing and calming, and toast is easy on your tummy. So next time you’re sick, be sure to give these foods a try.
When you’re sick, all you want is something warm, filling, and comfortable— something that will make you feel better without making your stomach upset. That’s why we love these comfort foods! From mac & cheese to hot soups, easy hot and filling foods as well as hot tea are sure to hit the spot.
I know that when I am down with a cold, the flu, or even wretched allergies, the last thing I want to do is cook myself a complicated meal. However, it’s important to try to eat healthy foods when you’re sick, so your body has the nutrients it needs to fight off the illness.
Comfort foods are a great way to make sure you’re getting enough to eat without tiring yourself out. Plus, they’re warm and satisfying—exactly what you need when your nose is running and your throat feels like sandpaper. So go ahead and curl up on the couch with these comfort foods that are perfect for eating when you’re under the weather.
Next time you find yourself wondering what to eat when you are sick, give one of these comfort food and drink ideas a try! From flavorful hot and spicy soup to grilled cheese sandwiches to good old fashioned mac ‘n cheese, these sick day eats will definitely hit the spot. And who knows? They might even help you feel better sooner!
What are your favorite and easy sick day comfort foods and drinks to have while you are sick?